Studying the basic sciences associated with medicine is one of the key underpinnings of medical competence. Science is important because it teaches an understanding of natural phenomena and aids our clinical reasoning. We have collected some of the best free resources from around the web to help you build on your foundation of medical science.
- Anatomy & Physiology Resources - Anatomy & Physiology is the beginning to the ‘why’ behind why we do what we do. You need to understand how things truly work before you understand how they go wrong. A&P makes a Clinician better, and opens the doors for further learning and understanding.” First, we recommend every medical professional take an Anatomy & […]
- Applied Ventilatory Theory - This is Part 3 of a 5 part series on fundamental concepts in ventilator management. See Part 2 is here. The goal of good ventilator management is to deliver appropriately sized breaths at appropriate rates and at appropriate times. This section will cover how to select the right breath settings, as well as how to […]
- Biology Resources - Biology plays an important role in the understanding of complex forms of life. Understanding these intricate details of life helps individuals make more informed decisions about the health of their Soldiers and their own health. Biology helps us understand the big picture of life and how organisms function. By studying biology, students learn to make more […]
- Pharmacology Resources - Videos This playlist from the University of Hawai’i’s Maui College covers a basic intro to pharmacology skip to videos 3-5 to get right into it. Books There are few, if any, free online pharmacology textbooks. Here are some top recommendations for textbooks to purchase. Lippincott Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology 6th edition ($50) Bertram Katzung’s Basic And […]
- The Combat Medic’s Guide to Answering Flu and Vaccine Questions from Patients - It’s that time of the year again. No, not for pumpkin spice frappamochachialattamericana. It’s time for mandated flu vaccines. This is all in accordance with the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs direction outline in the aptly-named “Interim Procedures Memorandum 17-005, 2017-2018 Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program (IVP)”. For the vast majority of Soldiers, this […]